Sunday, March 14, 2010

Paraguay

So, I've been here a little over a month now and Im starting too feel like im settled in a bit but Id like to recount some of the experiences ive had so far... When we arrived in Asuncion we were taken directly to the training center here so that they could take pictures of us and give us a two hour training session right after most of us had just traveled two days without sleeping a wink. It was great fun. Right after that they took us to our families. My group is called the Urban Youth development group. There are 13 of us and we are all living close together in a neighborhood called San martin, in a small city called Villetta. My family is named Jimenez Ozuna. It was kinda funny when I met my host mom, because she has blue eyes and all the neighbors were saying how I look like I could really be her son. I have three host siblings. I have a host brother who is 22 named Diego, he is pretty cool, and always wants me to go out with him and his friends. I have a thirteen year old sister, named Joanna, who is always helping me with my homework. And I have a 4 year old little sister named Tania, that they call the earthquake of the house. She is really cute and funny, but will never leave me alone. The first day I got there she started bragging to everyone that she had a new brother, and was holding my hand telling me where i had to go. It is actually kind of intimidating for me to be here with my fellow volunteers, because they come from such impressive backgrounds. There are some really cool people in my group and I feel privileged to know them. We have training eight hours a day which kinda sucks, but I guess we need it. We have four hours of guarani study, and trust me guarani is not easy at all. Im already sick of it, but it actually is pretty important to learn because the people here prefer to speak it, although almost all of them speak Spanish as well. We also have four hours a day of tech training, which can be pretty fun, because a lot of times we are learning to play games that we can use when we are working with youth. The food is good here, I enjoy almost everything, but they always try to feed me too much, and its mostly fried food. I think Ive gained a bit of weight already. I am trying to stay active here. I am able to play basketball and soccer pretty often, and my friend Rob is always pushing me to play. There is a decent basketball court just up the street from where we live. I have been able to get a little experience so far working with youth. We visited an orphanage one day and did some activities with the kids there. I was surprised to see how quickly the kids opened up to you, and how desperately they needed some attention. They were hugging us as soon as we showed up, and wouldn't let us leave. I was also able to go on a weekend visit with a volunteer in the field right now. I was put with someone who lives in a marginal neighborhood on the edge of Asuncion. Apparently the neighborhood isnt even on the map because the government would like to ignor the fact that there are people living in shacks built out of scraps of metal and garbage. I was able to help teach a 5th grade class physical science, which was a great experience, and a confidence booster. I also participated in a fundraiser, but is came quite easy to me because it was a Kareoke night, and they were selling hamburgers. I just helped break the ice by singing spanish songs horribly so that other people would have the courage to sing, but I did also bring some people with me. Just the other day I was also able to teach a an 8th grade class geography. It went pretty well, but when we first walk in they looked at us all like we were aliens. That is something Ive had to get used to here, getting stared at. I don't fit in at all here, and as i walk down the street there are always people staring. This week my partner Rob and I are going to try to get a project started with some of the youth in the town we are living in to improve the community. Ill let you know how it goes. goodbye for now, there is so much more to share but I gotta run.....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Brett, I am glad to know what you have been up to!! I miss you, love you..


    Katie

    p.s. its a good thing I know a little spanish or I would not be able to post a comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracias por compartir! así practico mi ingles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! Happy to hear from you. Keep posting so we know what you're up to. This post is under my mom cause I don't have a google account but this is Taylor. :)

    ReplyDelete